Thursday, November 19, 2009

EVOLUTION OF AN IDEA!
From time to time in the life of every individual who has ever lived it becomes necessary to re-invent ones self, to deviate from ones past, and yet be important enough to make a commitment to change ones self in a way that can give the individual an new sense of accomplishment, that time was this year, 2009, for me.
In the fall of 2008, members of my family decided to give up something in their lives they had always taken for granted and cherished, they decided to go under the knife and have much of their hair cut off so it could be given to groups like Locks-of-love. These groups take bundled hair, 8" or more in length, and create wigs for children who have
lost their own hair because of chemotherapy. I was so impressed with these wonderful organizations and with the members of my family who wanted to give, I too decided to grow out my hair, though it was quite thin and grey, I wanted to be a donor too. To give of ones self for the sake of others is a very worthy cause indeed.
From April 2009 through October, I endured the stares, insults, innuendoes, jokes, and intimidation directed at me because of my long hair and beard. I had been called such names as Jerry Garcia, a Hippy, a polygamist, and of course Santa Clause(mainly by little children). I was even asked on many occasions if I had lost my razor, and some wanted to know if I had just gone stark raving mad, or if I had lost my Mind completely. Through it all, I generally maintained my dignity and composure because I though it was fun. Only one draw back was the mustache, I did so hate getting food in it.
Finally a couple weeks ago, Luana told me I was looking scruffy, and because my hair was a little over 8" long now, I decided I needed to make a decision, cut or quit. I again went out on the internet and searched for the locks-of-love groups to find out what I must do to donate my hair. From April when I started growing my hair out for the program until October there had been a change in the policy on hair, the groups were no longer taking grey hair because it could not be dyed properly. So it became apparent I had to make a decision one that would make Luana happy. And so here I am, again, almost bald, and looking like a normal guy again. Goodbye long hair, adieu to the endless mustashe combings, and
so long scruffy beard.
In light of events of the past few days I wanted to give a chronological overview of my hairy transformation.

A. May, 2008 (Britt's Wedding)
B. Feb, 2009 (Chuck-e-Cheese and Jaybens' Birthday party).
C. Apr, 2009 (After four weeks)
D. Jun, 2009 (Laura's Graduation)
E. Jun, 2009 (Tye's Graduation)
F. May, 2009 (Our Home)
G. Jul, 2009 (Chick-Fil-A dress up)
H. Oct, 2009 (Halloween week)
I. Nov, 2009 (After the big clip)


One note, Luana and I spoke at Church the end of July and I looked pretty much like I did in Picture 'H'. I had quite a few people tell me the subject and my looks went well together. We talked about 'THE FAITH OF OUR FATHERS". Eat your heart out Brigham Young.
All I can say is:

IT WAS FUN WHILE IT LASTED

No comments: